The RIECs (Regional Information and Expertise Centres) and the LIEC (National Information and Expertise Centre) support the covenant partners in tackling organised crime.
Their administrative approach consists of:
- supporting public administration responsibilities. The RIECs and the LIEC increase awareness of organised crime among administrators and public officials;
- increasing knowledge on an administrative strategy to combat crime;
- supporting the municipalities and provinces in
- implementing and executing policies on administrative strategies and specific cases;
- improving the flow of information;
- providing support to strengthen regional cooperation.
Together, the RIECs and LIEC form a nationwide network organisation. Each RIEC works within its regional boundaries, managed by an autonomous regional steering committee. The LIEC has no hierarchical relationship whatsoever with the RIECs.
The RIECs and the LIEC:
- are involved in practical cases;
- advise covenant partners;
- have an advisory role in the administrative approach to combating organised crime. This role includes the application of the Public Administration (Probity Screening) Act (Bibob) by public authorities.
About the RIECs
The Netherlands is divided into ten RIECs:
- east Netherlands
- central Netherlands
- North Holland
- Amsterdam Amstelland
- The Hague
- Zeeland & west Brabant
- east Brabant
The RIECs and their covenant partners are part of the regional steering teams, which coordinate operations along the key national and regional themes. The RIECs are responsible for supporting partners by serving as an information hub for case histories. The RIECs subsequently draw up comprehensive enforcement recommendations and align administrative, criminal and fiscal interventions with their regional partners on a project basis.
The RIECs and the LIEC support and facilitate cooperation between the various covenant partners:
- Public Prosecution Service
- National Police
- Tax and Customs Administration
- Tax and Customs Administration/Benefits
- Fiscal Intelligence and Investigation Service (FIOD)
- Inspectorate SZW
- Royal Netherlands Marechaussee (KMar)
- Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND)
How do I get in touch with the RIECs or the LIEC?
For any questions on the comprehensive and administrative approach to organised crime, please contact the RIEC in your region. To contact the RIECs, please visit www.riec.nl under Contact. Any signals and referrals may only be entered by RIEC partners.
For general queries, please contact the LIEC via firstname.lastname@example.org.